- Scope: Emergency Bridge Replacement - steel fabrication and erection
- Steel Members: Plate Girders
- Photo Credits: PennDOT, High Steel
Route 22/322 Bridge at I-81
On May 9th in 2013, a tanker truck crashed on a ramp beneath the Route 22/322 overpass at the massive I-81 interchange near Harrisburg, PA. The resulting fire damaged the bridge, which required emergency replacement.
On May 23rd, High Steel was awarded a fast-track contract by PennDOT to fabricate the replacement steel for the project. Steel was ordered that same day and arrived from the mill 11 days later.
Fabrication on the 365-ton project began immediately, and steel delivery began on August 9th. The project's general contractor, G.A. & F.C. Wagman, awarded High Structural Erectors the subcontract to erect the steel for the new bridge. The erection of the 30 I-girders and two box girders began on August 12th and was completed on August 26th. In all, 95 calendar days elapsed between the notice to proceed to the completion of the erection.
- Bridge Type: Plate Girder with Box Girder Pier Caps
- Steel Tonnage: 365 Tons
- Steel Type: A588 Grade 50W
- Coating: Painted (Three Coats)
- Project Owner: PennDOT
- Design Consultant: Gannett Fleming
- General Contractor: G.A & F.C. Wagman
- Steel Fabricator: High Steel Structures LLC
- Steel Erector: High Structural Erectors LLC